[A stone block of the wall, inscribed as “Gangjayukbaekcheok”]
A Stone of the wall, written as “Gangjayukbaekcheok” was discovered in an embankment near the Namsan J-Gran House. The stone block is the record of the constructon section and length. The original position of this stone is unknown, as the embankment was built with the stones acquired from the demolished wall.
[Excavation site of Hanyangdoseong at the foot of Hoehyeon, Namsan]
In 2013, a section of the wall(94.1m), which had been demolished in 1925 (during the Japanese Colonial Period) to build the Joseon Shinto Shrine was excavated. This section of the wall, built with both original stone blocks from the wall and new stone blocks used for its repair, shows the layers of 600-years history of the wall.
Hyehwamun from outside the wall. Hyehwamun served as a passageway to city of Uijeongbu and Pocheon from the capital.
* Old Photo of Hyehwamun Gate | National Museum of Korea Collection
[Naksan Mountain Trail]
As the administrative district of Seoul has expanded greatly, Hanyangdoseong, which once marked the boundary between Hanseongbu (Capital Prefecture in Joseon) and its outskirts 600 years ago, has now become a cultural property in the center of Seoul.